As you may have noticed, cold and flu season is in full effect. Sickness can result in loss of employee productivity and revenue so preventing the spread of germs is important. Providing supplies, a clean office and alternate accommodations for sick employees will help to minimize germs in the office and keep your team healthy. Below are a few tips to help you get through the winter months:
- Be accommodating to ill employees to prevent their sickness from spreading. Despite the common concern many workers have of falling behind when not in the office, it is important to give employees a chance to get healthy. Let your team members know you’d rather have them miss a day or two than make the entire office sick. Consider finding ways that employees can do some of their work from home, if appropriate.
- Make it easy for employees help keep the office germ free. Stock your office with hand-sanitizing gels, facial tissues, disinfecting wipes for workspaces and disinfectant sprays for common areas.
- In addition to cleaning supplies, keep immune system boosters like Emergen-C on hand so employees can stop their colds before they start. Keep citrus fruits, yogurt and tea stocked in the breakroom as well, as these foods are naturally immune boosting.
- Talk to your janitorial staff about extra cleaning during the winter months for areas that are germ hotspots. Have them disinfect all door knobs, office machines and common areas regularly to prevent the spread of germs.
- Encourage employees to get a flu vaccine shot if they are able. Setting up a flu shot clinic at your office makes it easy and convenient for employees and their families to get shots.
While cold and flu season is inevitable, there are many steps you can make to help your team avoid the spreading of germs. Keep your office healthy this winter by stocking up on disinfecting products and educating your team on healthy office practices.